Tuesday 11 September 2007

Out of time sequence

I know we've been trying to catch you up on what we've been up to since began this journey, but I'm going to just skip ahead to today for a minute.

I've been traveling more than ever before. Mostly it's to Switzerland, so I've decided to try to learn German via podcast. So far, I know how to say, 'I have nothing to declare' (not at all useful as Swiss border patrol is nothing if not lenient) and, 'I would like a coffee with milk and sugar' (very useful but a limited set of words). Also, the audio podcast isn't that useful in learning to read German.

Today, after my meetings were done, I wanted a little bite to eat but didn't feel like hotel food. I wandered a bit until I found a grocery store. Notice that my words did not include anything about the different kinds of beer and cheese, nor do I know how to read anything that isn't a rough approximation of the English word. I wound up with: Babybel (because it's the same around the world), Italian grapes (even I know what Italien means), and this. It's a good thing I like Hefe-Weizenbier.

No comments: